Central Park had its beginning in 1888 in what was once County School District 38 in a four-room school house, which stood on an acre of land. The principal taught a class thus there was no principal's office as we know it today. A wooden fence enclosed the large playground. Some of the children rode their ponies to school and tied them to a post outside the fence. On the playground the boys and girls were never permitted to mix. They each had separate areas. Slates were the innovation of the day and such texts as the McGuffy Reader, White's Complete Arithmetic and Seven Sisters for Geography were evident in students' desks.
But as the community pushed forward and grew, a two-room annex at 42nd and Saratoga Streets was pressed into service. At the school, a drummer boy sounded his roll as more and more boys and girls entered the school each day, and the Central Park Improvement Club in 1908 petitioned for a new school building.
In 1912, a new building with 13 classrooms became a reality. During the next 50 years, the physical plant was adequate, but progress was evident in the school's classrooms with new programs in educational development.
In 1963, it was again evident that the Central Park Community was thriving and growing. It became necessary to begin plans for an addition to the school as the student population was quickly expanding. In 1966, a 19,000 square foot addition was added which included a multi-purpose room and auditorium, a school cafeteria, additional classrooms, and a modernized kitchen. The new facility has grown in importance, as it will continue to serve the future generations that attend Central Park.